Meal box prices in the UK have risen by an average of 14.8% over the past 5 years.
With inflation figures in mind, we were curious about the average price increase of these meal kits. We compared the 2019 and 2023 prices and shipping fees of some of the UK's largest meal box providers. We focused on the standard meal box, consisting of 3 meals for two people.
Our research revealed that, over the years, the examined meal boxes saw an average price hike of 14.8%. This increase is considerably less than the overall inflation in the UK over the past five years. Further insights from our study include:
- Over five years, there's been a 14.8% increase in the prices of the boxes we examined.
- The current weekly average for a meal kit subscription, providing 6 meals, stands at £38.40.
- On average, a meal kit now demands an additional £5.70 weekly, equating to nearly £1 more per meal.
- Most of the time, the increased costs are concealed within delivery charges.
- To provide context, the average inflation rate from 2019 to August 2023 was 21.8%. So, the meal box providers have managed to keep their price increases relatively in check.
The displayed meal box prices in the table above represent the total cost, including delivery fees.
Brand-specific details show that both HelloFresh and Gousto raised their prices by 13.3% over the 5-year period. Mindful Chef experienced a price hike of just 7.5%. For Allplants and Riverford, the increases were higher, at 16.4% and 23.7%, respectively. While Green Chef wasn't active yet in the UK market back in 2019.
According to the Bank of England's inflation calculator tool, the average inflation rate from 2019 to August 2023 was 21.8%. For more detailed insights, please visit the Bank of England's inflation calculator: 1Inflation Calculator, Bank of England
The price increases seen at Riverford are roughly in line with the average inflation of 21.8% compared to 5 years ago.
Compared to the general inflation over recent years, meal box providers have managed to keep their price increases relatively in check. You can also find various meal boxes' prices and delivery costs in this overview.
- 1Inflation Calculator, Bank of England